Thursday, June 30, 2011

Field Trip

I started out with breakfast at Panera, stoking up with a breakfast sandwich because I didn't really know what I might find today, the guidebook said that food options were thin on the ground, considering I was heading for Museum Campus. Taking a break from the norm I turned south down Michigan Ave instead of north. My first port of call was the Field Museum. Chicago's museum of natural history. I bought the basic ticket because I knew I wouldn't be too long. I breezed through several rooms, Jade, and gem stones, Africa and the slave trade, south Pacific islands including Hawaii and Fiji and other Polynesian islands. But what I really wanted to see was Sue! The largest, most complete and best preserved skeleton of a T Rex. Afterwards the sunshine was calling me, and instead of a trip to the Shedd Aquarium, I decided to just chill out in the park by the lake in front of the museums. An hour and a half later, feeling better for my dose of vitamin D, I decided to take the water taxi back to Navy Pier, and make my way west and south back to Michigan Ave. I stopped in a Corner bakery to use the wifi again, and because it was around 4 o'clock and I'd missed lunch again. So soup and crisps and a chai latte to revive me, and I was ready to go wandering again. I thought about finding a sushi place to eat, and taking the rest out to eat in the park, but I got myself lost and confused for the first time since being here. It was really a case of indecision, and not being totally focussed on where I wanted to be exactly. But I stumbled across a supermarket with takeout sushi boxes, picked a drink, and found a box of just 2 cookies and took my food with purpose now and a sense of direction again to go back to Millennium Park, where I joined dozens of other people picnicking in the park in front of "The Bean". The day was nearly over and there was just time for a nightcap at the bar I'd had dinner in the first night. I took a seat in the same spot and ordered a (small 8oz) carafe of Rose wine, and sat to write up my day before heading back to bed. (tonight didn't exactly turn out how I expected it to, but more about that tomorrow. B) A note on service in America: I mentioned yesterday. American wait staff don't get very good wages, and rely heavily on tips, which is why it's expected that for reasonable service you tip 15% and up to 20% for good service. You should also tip the barman or waitress who brings you your drink about a dollar a drink. So yesterday at the top of the John Hancock Center in the cocktail bar. (have you remembered who he is yet?) I was expecting that the lady in the posh bar, who was very nice, might get a little more than a dollar. However, she came and told me she was going on her break, so could I pay my bill now please. So I did, and she asked if I needed any change. I'd paid with a $20, so of course I did, but I wasn't particularly impressed when she brought my change in notes and no coins. She'd kept the 60 cents small change. Meanwhile I left a tip, but she never returned to see, so I'd left before anyone came to clear my table. And the other staff were so slow at taking other people's orders that several groups left before they had ordered. Not looking good for their tips either.

Posted from Blogium for iPhone

No comments: