Saturday, July 02, 2011

Exploring Milwaukee

It's been a strangely busy day. Somehow haven't had time to sit and write. Will update later...

Update:

I got up and had breakfast this morning which was help yourself to items from the breakfast room. Items in the fridge such as bagels and muffins and cream cheese and milk to go with the packets of breakfast cereal. Bread buns and porridge also, and as usual assortment of coffees all to take away to your room if you wished. I did.

I took the hotel's very good shuttle bus which would drop off anywhere you wanted in the downtown area. I asked for a stop near the Art Museum. The driver showed us their usual pick up point, dropped most of the others at the Summerfest gate, and dropped me off further along near the Art Museum. 
I've been before, I knew what to do and what I wanted to see. The current temporary exhibition on China was very interesting. The building itself, known as the Calatrava after the architect, Santiago Calatrava who designed it, is very impressive.

I wandered through the rest of the museum, and when I returned to the entrance, they were busy setting up for a wedding reception, which looked very impressive. On my way out of the museum, across the bridge towards the downtown area, I passed the bridal party too. 
I found downtown Milwaukee strangely quiet and deserted. The sun was baking down on me and I needed to get inside and find a drink. I was very conscious of being stuck outside in the 80 - 90 degree heat and not drinking enough liquid. Eventually I came to a place that looked open. it was refreshingly air conditioned, almost cold inside, and very new and smart.  A nice cold pint of  cider was in order and for the first time on this trip I was asked for my ID. This surprised me as I was expecting to have to show it every time, but was hardly asked for it. I suppose that they don't get many young British girls traveling alone and therefore they would expect that I must be over 21.  Upon showing him my UK passport, the barman said, "Oh you're an Out of Towner."  "I'm from Newcastle where Newcastle Brown Ale comes from" I said, and he answered, "Well welcome to Milwaukee where they drink lots of Newcastle Brown Ale!"

Thirst quenched, I left and went in search of food, which I found at the Port of Call, a suitably nautical themed restaurant.

No comments: